The GIRL project aims at raising awareness of and integrating the gender perspective in activities related to fighting trafficking for sexual exploitation (prevention, identification, investigation) and providing support for victims of trafficking for sexual exploitation (assistance, protection of rights and social reintegration). The GIRL project is implemented in Romania, Italy and Spain. Specifically, the GIRL project will:
1. Evaluate the extent in which the gender dimension, vulnerabilities and inequalities influence trafficking for sexual exploitation and the efficiency of prevention, support, rights recovery and social reintegration of victims at the level of all project partner countries.
2. Develop awareness and working skills of 270 proffessionals (socials assistants and psychologists, teachers and school counsellors, cultural and social mediators, prevention actors) working in the field of trafficking and related fields in understanding and integrating gender issues in the process of identification, prevention, investigation, assistance, protection of rights and social reintegration of victims of trafficking.
3. Develop an extensive trafficking prevention campaign to raise awareness of the gender vulnerabilities and inequalities linked to trafficking for sexual exploitation, to build stronger communities that can protect women and girls from trafficking and to target demand for services provided by victims of trafficking for sexual exploitation.
Step by step, the GIRL project means:
– Research on gender vulnerabilities and inequalities as risk factors for trafficking of women and girls for sexual exploitation
– Awareness and skills development on diminishing gender vulnerabilities and inequalities as risk factors for trafficking of women and girls for sexual exploitation
– Prevention of trafficking of women and girls for sexual exploitation from a gender and demand-reduction perspective